New Replies to Your Posts Unread posts since last visit 10 Most Recent Posts MBBSL
WELCOME to MASTER BOOZIES BLUE STAR LOUNGE

March 28, 2024, 04:42:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

EVERYWUN PLEASE...COMPUTER SECURITY

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EVERYWUN PLEASE...COMPUTER SECURITY  (Read 1726 times)
DC
Queen Mistress

ise qwacked....gets sum duck tape LOL

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2006, 02:27:37 am »

with all that i have seen in the last year with people "stealing"" passwerds n watnut...i muss impress it up EVERYWUN here to please change yer passwerds regularly....PLEASE  i cannot stress it enuf.  Remember to make it a tuff wun as well....meenin that u use letters, numbers AND symbols. all three will makes it harder to crack. example.....  makeItTuFF#69

also...makes sure you have a firewall..if nut a hardware wun...software an a cupple dem is better den nuddin....this also helps slow down intruders. Remember yer spyware an virus scanners as well. Keep dem updated regularly.

wen i gets home i will post some sites where to gets some things as well as a scan to check yer ports.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 03:00:07 pm by DC » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rosie
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 04:33:52 am »

yer da bestest!tries to look after everyone ya do! Kiss
Report Spam   Logged
NewfieSanta

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 09:51:35 am »

tanks DC...yer the bestest Afro
Report Spam   Logged
DC
Queen Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 12:10:40 pm »

I will be posting what information i have received on computer security.  Please remember...it is better to be safe, then sawry...wun never nose wat may happen to them, especially in this day and age.

the following was an insert frum newfoundweb  and was posted by promoturr........

Hi All,

Before I get started I would like to say that this is for educational purposes and that in no way will I be responsible for any problems you may receive in following this guide. Each computer behaves differently, based on many factors. like Operating system, software programs and games installed on them.

With that said, Here is a little information about things you can do to increase you computer security.

Why increase your security? Well let me tell you from experience. Being on the internet is like a online war. There are a ton of what some call script kiddies out to cause havic! Depending on your operating system and your internet connection, some computers can be wide open for attack. Attack being you computer compromised or even harm done.

The computers that are most at risk are computers that are connected to the internet at all times. Cable modems and DSL. These computers are loved by hackers/crackers because of there connectivity. They love to have control over something that is on all the time. Where as a computer that only connects for a short period is not as good. Since the computer may not be online when the cracker is. Also computers that have to dial up and connect often changed their I.P. (Computer Address) where as a computers that are connected all the time usually have a Static IP (Same all the time).

Computers running windows have many things installed from the get go that should not be. Windows operating systems are the most compromised systems out there. This is for a few reasons. One, because windows is often pre packed with many things that basic users do not need. Second, its the most used operating system. Anything that is used the most is what crackers work on the most.

There are many things that a cracker/hacker can do to your system. From having complete control over it, monitoring your information, installing viruses or even using your computer to attack other peoples computers(Stealthing their location for attacks)

Many people say that you do not have to worry about security if your not out causing trouble. This is wrong. Almost every computer connected to the internet has probably been scanned for security holes at least once and many probably hundreds or even in the thousands. This is because, ther are now scripts that just scan for holes all day. They take a certain IP range (Computer address set by your internet provider) and scan between them all day. Then they come back to the computer and look at the result log and see which ones responded to their pings and scans( Ports/Holes Open). Another way they find IP Addresses to crack and scan are from file sharing. Some of the crackers have setup on places like Kazaa and Bearshare to solely find fast computers. When you connect to a person and download, your computer IP(Address) is shown to that person. It has too, in order to connect to them and for them to know where to send the file. If your computer connects and downloads fast, its of super interest for them to try and crack your computer. So the bottom line is, EVERYBODY should be concerned about security.

Now that was just some basic information on what crackers/hackers can do. That has even touched the surface. It was just to give you a idea of how the internet can be used for havic.

So what can you do to protect yourself? How can you beef up security?
There are a few things that even a fairly new user can do.

1. Install a firewall.
2. Install a Virus Scan
3. Install Operating System(Windows) updates.

1.) A Firewall is a software program that will try and control what is allow to come and go from your computer. Many of them will ask you when something new trys to connect to your computer or to the internet. If its something you do not want, you block it. There are also hardware firewalls, but that is for another guide.

There are many firewalls on the market and everybody will give you a opinion on what is best. Depending on your skill level you may want to test different programs. But for the novice user I recommend Zone Alarm. They have a Pro version and a FREE Version. Both are fairly easy to use. Just one you have to pay for and has more features. Zone Alarm is fairly basic and straight forward, but still expect a bit of a learn curve to understand it. Its not install, click and your done. When you first install it, it will ask you a lot of questions. This is because it has to learn what is allowed to connect. What programs are good and what are bad. After it knows this information, it becomes pretty much a background thing.(remember to keep it updated)

You can find the FREE zone alarm at www.zonelabs.com Make sure to Download the FREE version and not the Pro Trial version. They seem to try and hide the FREE one, in hopes that you download the trial and end up buying it.

http://www.grc.com/default.htm has a great FREE online security scan to test and see if you currently have any open ports (Trojans, Security holes, etc...) I highly recommend EVERYBODY try this test and see want results they get. If you have any open ports a FIREWALL IS A MUST! The test is called Shields up and the link is about 1/4 of a way down the website page.

2.) Virus scan is a MUST if you download anything from the internet. This doesn't have to be from websites, but even in your e-mails. If you get little files in your e-mails then you are at risk. Viruses are everywhere and can cause a lot of damage to your computer. There are a few types. Standard virus, worms and then trojans. Virus and worms are design to cause trouble to your computer. Delete files or crash programs, jam internet server traffic, or even just to pass itself on to other users. Trojans in mine opinion are the worse. This is because not only can they do harm, but they can compromise your computer fully. Giving people total control and access to your information and files as if they were sitting right at your computer. Now again there are many virus scan software packages and some are better then others. But if this is your first time finding out about virus scanners, then you may want to give one a try first. So for this reason I recommend another FREE program, call AVG. You can download AVG at http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/ One thing to remember about virus scan is that they are only as good as their last update. New threats are found every day and if you do not let the program connect and update its virus database, then its not much good to even install it. Keep it up to date.

3.) Computer Operating System Updates.

Keep your operating system up to date. Windows has many holes in it and every day crackers and hackers across the world are working on findiing them. Windows also has a team that trys to stay current with security threats and releases patches to fix them. Once windows makes a patch it is a must to download, because from this point on windows has made the security hole known. So if you do not patch it, many crackers read about the hole and then try and see if you fixed it. Many people do not update their computers. KEEP ON TOP OF IT!

(SPYWARE, AD WARE)

The above 3 security points are design to stop crackers/hackers from doing harm to your computer. But the truth is, they are not the only ones invading your privacy. Many corporations are now using shady tactics for marketing purposes. Visiting certain websites can install tracking software and cookies on your computer. This helps them figure out what people are currently interested in and how to market to you. Things like sites you visit, what time, for how long, etc.. are collected. In my opinion this should be illegal. But for some reason they get away with it. There is a FREE program that you can install that searches your computer and deletes the spyware. Its called Ad Aware. It can be downloaded from www.lavasoftusa.com Again make sure you get the FREE version as they sell a pro and try and hide their FREE version.

One more good rule of thumb to follow is to not install stupid little things on your computer. They usually do more harm to your computer then good. Things like fancy mouse clickers or internet browers tool bars, time accuracy software, etc... Tho little things that you think you need, more and likely you probably don't. If you want to install something that comes in a e-mail then you are probably doing your computer no good. Before installing anything, maybe do a quick search and see what people have to say about it.

Well there are the few things that you can do to increase your security. Remember that this is just a general guide and each computer will behave differently. Do not attempt anything said here if you do not feel comfortable with your computer. Instead read and learn more. Security is a MUST and the faster you get on it the better.

For more Advance computer users I recommend shutting down certain services that windows installs. A GREAT Guide can be found at http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm. Black Viper also has some really good guides on how to increase your computer speed and operating system tweaks.

Hope this has helped ya in some way. Knowledge is always a good thing!

« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 12:11:33 pm by DC » Report Spam   Logged
DC
Queen Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 02:59:25 pm »

REMEMBER TO...

Download all critical updates from windows update and keep checking for new updates... If you don't know where the link is on your pc, go here: http://www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Download and install a software firewall, even if you have a hardware unit. Zonealarm is one of the best and it's free, you can download it free from www.download.com...

Run periodic virus scans of your pc with whatever scanner you have. If you don't have a virus scanner, download the free version of AVG from http://www.grisoft.com

Download and install ad-aware from http://www.download.com, and run it once a week, make sure to update the software every time.

Set up a dummy email account and use it to sign up for internet offers and sites if you need to... That way, alot of spam will go to that junk mail account.

Change your passwords regularly....making one that would be difficult to crack....by using letters(lower & upper case), numbers and symbols. All three in a passwerd is best.

Use common sense when on the internet, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is...

Report Spam   Logged
DC
Queen Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 03:04:13 pm »

to those who have been in the newfie chat site...many would know robert. He is a wealth of info with computer security. for it is his job to help test businesses on their security. Here are  some things he had to say......

Word to the wise for those of you who don't know how file sharing programs drop your security...

When using programs like kazaa or others, you share files on your computer with others on the internet. What you probably don't know is that I can track your pc by it's internet address while you're downloading a file from my machine. Running a simple command in dos allows me to find the IP address of YOUR machine within seconds. Another quick command tells me if you have a firewall or not. Some people put their real name as the computer name which can be easily found if you don't have a firewall. Now with your IP, I can track you to the city you're in right down to the ISP you use. If you don't have a firewall and i'm malicious, you're wide open and just begging to get hacked.

Sound scary? Read on...

Many people leave viral infected files on their computer on purpose for download by others. They log the ip addresses of the computers that download from them and the files they download. If you inadvertantly download a virus infected file and are not running antivirus software to catch it, guess what, you're infected with a virus of mine. Now knowing your IP address, and the virus you're infected with, i'll have full, unrestricted access to your computer within seconds.

Yes, the standard issue of kazaa was full of spyware and was problematic. The kazaa lite K++ version is definitely the way to go and is the only one i'd use. No spyware and haven't seen any issues with it yet. I loaded up bearshare one time and checked my firewall, it's a hacker haven. 200 scans in the first minute.

Moral of the story? Get a firewall, if nothing else, get a software firewall. Zonealarm is free and can be downloaded at http://www.download.com without registering on the zonealarm website. When you load it, you'll get an option for the free version or the pro version. Select the free version and install. Read the instructions and enjoy.

If you have time, grab a coffee and do some reading on Steve Gibsons website, he's one of the world renouned security experts. http://www.grc.com/default.htm

« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 12:12:14 pm by DC » Report Spam   Logged
DC
Queen Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 03:07:04 pm »

more tidbits from robert.....

If you suspect there is someone accessing your computer, close down all applications that access the internet (ie internet explorer, msn chat, yahoo chat etc. Wait for about 30 seconds.

Click on the start button, click on run... type in command and press ok. this should open a black screen.

in that black screen, type the following command:
netstat
press enter.
If there are any connections, then you should check into it.

Otherwise, when you try to reboot your computer, you may get a message saying something like "there is one person logged into your computer". The computer can't distinguish wether it's a connection that should be there or not.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 12:12:46 pm by DC » Report Spam   Logged
DC
Queen Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 03:12:05 pm »

This was a post that robert had given someone wen having some trubble. i thot it may be valuable to someone someday......

getting rid of trojan viruses can be difficult, whereas the typical email virus isn't too bad.... The one you have sounds like a password stealer. If you don't feel comfortable doing the following, find someone that's handy with computers to do it for you...

Download stinger from http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger
Download hijackthis from http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

You have to get the system into safe mode to remove viruses properly... What version of windows do you have??? Look here for all different versions...
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Once in safe mode, run stinger... check the properties and set stinger to delete infected files, and to scan all files.

If stinger doesn't find/remove the virus, run your avg in safe mode and let it try and remove the virus.

If that doesn't work, run hijackthis, press ok on the warning and click on scan. Look for the filename you listed, Befamfkk.exe and let hijackthis remove it. A word of warning, if you remove the wrong items you can actually remove access to the internet. If in doubt on what to do, hijackthis gives you an option to save the log. email the log to hijackthis@hotmail.com and i'll take a look at it for you...

Good luck...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 12:13:22 pm by DC » Report Spam   Logged
DC
Queen Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 03:15:54 pm »

another post of roberts.....

If you have a trojan, then there's a good chance that your antivirus software has been rendered inneffective... pretty much useless.

Go to http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger
download stinger, it's a standalone scanner. Boot to safe mode, not sure what version of windows you're running but it's typically the same... Run the program.

Also download the free personal version of a2 here:
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
Install it, update it and again, run it in safe mode.

If you're running windows XP or ME, you must disable system restore.
For XP: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001111912274039?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam
For ME:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001012513122239?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam

Clear your internet cache and all temp files while in "safe mode", and be sure to empty the recycle bin too...

Some of these trojans can be a nightmare to get rid of, just keep at it.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 12:14:05 pm by DC » Report Spam   Logged
DC
Queen Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 03:21:48 pm »

The problem with viruses today is that they are almost impossible to remove when the system is booted normally. They replicate and copy themselves very quickly. The only way to remove them now is in "safe mode" or "dos mode" and it's to the point where formatting your system takes a little less time than fighting to get rid of the virus in the first place.

robert from edmonton, Alberta Canada originally from St. George's

When you get a virus, your scanner should pick it up but it's not always the case...

When you receive an infected email, the antivirus scanner should report and quarantine it automatically. If the virus slips through your defenses it will attempt (and usually succeed) to disable any antivirus software you have. This can happen when a new virus hits the internet and you do not have the update for it, and for this reason, you should always run your live update everytime you boot your pc. So yes, you can run a scan of your computer and have nothing detected. Once your antivirus is offline, you're sure to get more viruses.

As for quarantine, the scanner just renames the virus to something harmless. The virus is still on the computer but cannot do anything, and it is generally safer to leave it in quarantine.

There is a standalone scanner from mcafee that works great, find it here: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger. Download it, run it, check the properties and make sure to scan all files. It will attempt to delete any viruses it finds.

Also, you can run AVG antivirus on your system in conjunction with norton or mcafee. It's pretty good at detecting trojan viruses, something that both norton and mcafee are lacking in. It's free and you can find it here: http://www.grisoft.com.

Good luck

Online banking for me is the best thing since sliced bread, I pay all my bills, transfer monies and pay my rent through my online account. Takes minutes and I love it. But of course it comes with inherent problems...

What it boils down to is there is no such thing as a perfect antivirus scanner and if you get an infection you can/will leave yourself open to losing information. If I were a hacker and gained access to your system, the first thing I would go for is your "Temporary internet files", this one directory stores every place you've been on the internet. This includes webmail accounts like hotmail or yahoo mail, online banking etc. I can read any messages that you've received for example.

There are many types of viruses that can store your personal information and send it to whomever wants it. Keylogger trojan viruses record every keystroke you make on your keyboard and save it to file. So for example, if I type in www.tdbank.com, theres a good chance that the next string of characters is the username and password to your bank account. What can they do with your bank account? Think about it...

You just have to use common sense when using the internet. If something looks fishy or "too good to be true" then it probably is.

As for your antivirus, by "updated a month ago", I hope you mean the latest version of the software, not the virus updates that come out daily or every few days. It's very important that you run thru your live update process every day before you do anything else.

Something else I recommend is to run online virus scanners once a week or so.
Symantec: http://security.symantec.com/default.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym
or
Trend micro: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
or
Panda: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

Report Spam   Logged
DC
Queen Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 09:43:16 am »

i must impress upon everywun how important it is to have a firewall. if you are nut sure...or even if yoo do have a software wun....down loadin the free  personal version of zone alarm helps  it is better safe den sorry. It will notify you of ANYTHING trying to access yer puter an give you the option to accept or deny. Just this morning....i had a high risk tryin to access my computer. i didnot know exactly who or wat it was...so i denied an blocked it. Please be safe.

You can find the FREE zone alarm at  www.zonelabs.com  Make sure to Download the FREE version and not the Pro Trial version. They seem to try and hide the FREE one, in hopes that you download the trial and end up buying it.
Report Spam   Logged
GIN
Harem Gurl/PSP Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 04:34:35 pm »

How long is the free version good for DC?
Report Spam   Logged
DC
Queen Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 05:15:35 pm »

da free version is good ferever maid...ise had mine since i downloaded er ..lard its been neer 2 yeers. juss makes sure ya down loads de free version nut da pro version

here is de link maid its fer de free download  fer non business use...

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=CA&lang=en
Report Spam   Logged
DC
Queen Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006, 06:41:25 pm »

Do you really know how to forward e-mails? 50% of us do; 50% do NOT.  Do you wonder why you get viruses or junk mail?

Here's why:  Every time you forward an e-mail there is information left over from the people who got the message before you, namely their e-mail addresses & names, and the person that sent it to them, etc.  As the messages get forwarded along, the list of addresses builds, and builds, and builds, and all it takes is for some poor sap to get a virus, and his or her computer can send that virus to every e-mail address that has come across his computer.  Or, someone can take all of those addresses and sell them or send junk mail to them in the hopes that you will go to the site and he will make five cents for each hit.  That's right, all of that inconvenience so someone can get a nickel!  How do you stop it? 

Well, there are two easy steps:

1) When you forward an e-mail, DELETE all of the other addresses that appear in the body of the message.  You MUST click the "Forward" or "Reply" button first, then you will have full editing capabilities for everything, the body and headers of the message.  Highlight all those addresses and delete them, backspace them, cut them, whatever it is you know how to do.  It only takes a second.
     Note that if you don't click on "Forward" or "Reply" first, you won't be able to edit the message at all.

2) Whenever you send an e-mail to more than one person, do NOT use the To: or Cc: columns for adding e-mail address. Always use the BCC:  (blind carbon copy) column for listing the e-mail addresses.  The recipient of your e-mail only sees his/her address and doesn't know who else you sent it to.If you don't see your BCC: option,  click on where it says "To:", and your address list will appear. Highlight the address and choose BCC: it should be down there somewhere at the bottom.  It's easy.  When you send to BCC:  your message will automatically say "Undisclosed Recipients" in the "TO:" field of the people who receive it.

Another way to do this is to highlight just the part of the email that you want to send, hit reply, when this page comes up, you can edit, add too or alter the text anyway you want too, then add your email address to the send too box, put as many addresses in the blind copy as you want. Put each address in parentheses followed by a comma.

So please, in the future, let's stop the junk mail and the viruses! Cheesy  Cheesy  Wink

Hope you find the above info useful and helpful
Report Spam   Logged
Promoturr
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 12:05:06 pm »

Great post blue.. Tho I can't read the yellow when its on the white background post.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Web Site Hit Counter
Internet Dating Services
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum